Tuesday, July 22, 2008

The weirdest thing

Matt and I were driving in Vancouver the other day, right around 5 pm. I was stopped at a red light behind several cars and several cars in the right lane next to me. Suddenly we heard some loud, long-drawn out honking. I looked in my rearview mirror, a little confused where the honking was coming from and who it was directed to. Come to find out, it’s a woman in the car behind me. She’s honking and honking and honking…with no sign of her stopping. I kept an eye on her through my rearview mirror, conscious of the red light and the nearby drivers staring at us.

Matt and I were totally boggled. Do I know her? Does she think the light is green and we’re just stopped for the heck of it? Maybe someone stuck a “F*** you” bumper sticker on the back of my car. Or maybe she hates Gonzaga and my license plate frame offends her. She must think I’m someone else. I don’t think I cut anyone off. Maybe she had a bad day at work…

Then I saw something flying out of her driver’s side window (the honking is still going strong). She started throwing change out her window. And not just pennies! I saw silver mixed in there. Is she trying to tell me something?

The light turned green. I hoped that the movement of traffic would put a cease to the honking madness. It didn’t. She was driving close on my trail and still laying on the horn. Maybe it’s stuck on? I decided that she might be in a big hurry so I got into the right lane so she could move on through. Only she followed right behind me into the same lane. HM. Okay, at this point Matt and I are even more confused.

It was about time for me to make my left hand turn to our destination. I was a little nervous that she would follow us into the parking lot and chuck change at my head. But I turned left. She kept honking and glaring at me, but she drove on. And the honking stopped. Matt and I looked at each other and spent the next half hour analyzing what this crazy woman might have been thinking. I guess I’ll never know.

What do you think was going on???

1 comment:

Brenna said...

WHAT THE HECK!?? That is the weirdest story ever. I really have no guess at all, so I googled it and GUESS WHAT! Someone ELSE had someone throw coins at them TWICE in one day. I didn't get any further than that, mostly because I spent 1 minute total on research, but I think she was giving you a message. Look into it and blog again.