Saturday, March 29, 2008

Find your edge

People constantly say that they want to be more hip. And when someone discovers something that classifies them as “hip” it makes their day and gives them bragging rights. I like to call this “edge.” Others might describe it as “cool” or “gangsta”—no matter the description, people strive for this edgy status.

How to get your edge:
Step one in making yourself appear edgy is to alter your language. Don’t go overboard, steer away from phrases like “jiggy.” Small simple changes will give you that subtle edge you desire. And it’s easy! Just mix up the endings of your words.

There are several ways of doing this:
1. Take off the ending of the word.
Instead of saying “That’s hilarious.” Say “That’s hilar.”

Instead of saying “My favorite song is Senorita.” Say “My fave song is Senorita.”

Instead of saying “I was busting up.” Say “I was bustin’ up.”

Be careful though, I’ve heard people say “ridic” instead of ridiculous, and this just doesn’t sound right…probably giving you negative edge points!

2. Alter the ending of the word:

My fave example is saying “preggo” or “preggars” instead of pregnant.
Other options:
Add “ster” to the end of a word.

“That guy was such a creepster.” Or “That guy was such a clingster!”

Add “ilicious” to the end of a word. “That’s nerdilicious.”

3)And if you’re ever in doubt of what to say, just bust out “Ohhhh, snap!”

3 comments:

Brenna said...

I would like to edit this post in the following ways:

Your step 1 is actually called "abbrev". My sister is the queen of it, but also it's fun for everyone (obvi).
Another example- you can abbrev whole sentences. Someone sneezes, you say, "bless"
Oh, snap is a good one. One that I like to use in a variety of circumstances is "______ needs to get a life". You don't have to be talking about a person. ie Nothing's on TV? "Uhhhhhhh TV really needs to get a life right now"

Lauren said...

Cara, I totally was going to comment on how much this sounded like Brenna, and of course- she's expanded on it! You guys are so dorky...luckily, I'm a sucker for dorks.

One other thing Brenna used to say, which I still occassionally find myself using is "____ face", such as "Cuteface" or "Scooshface". Good times....

Hoag said...

Hmmm...totally studying up on these edge tips. I know I'll get it all figured out soon...seems like I being mentored by a true expert in the field!

I'm still impressed at how quickly you've picked up the cheese. I think you should blog about finding your cheese next. Maybe as a follow up to these gents:

http://www.whomovedmycheese.com/