Monday, November 24, 2008

Food critic

Since leaving the comfort of the PNW, I’ve been put in a whole new food element. I thought I’d share some of my discoveries and critiques.

Soul food:
I went to Baton Rouge for work and learned that soul food must be an acquired taste. Most of what I encountered was either very spicy or very fried. I don’t do spicy. And fried food doesn’t agree with fitting into a wedding dress…which left me to order the only food that wasn’t fried or spicy, which, as it turns out, isn’t very good.
**But “soul food” from a really expensive restaurant is indeed good. However, I broke down and ordered one of the fried dishes…so that probably explains it.

Convention food:
Even in a fancy, schmancy hotel, food made in mass quantities just isn’t very good. And note to the meal planners: don’t serve chicken on the bone when people are dressed nice and trying to eat gracefully. I’m trying to engage in conversation with people for the first time, meanwhile I’m flinging chicken on the floor as I try got get it off the bone and in my mouth!

Back to fried foods:
Fried chicken here in Knoxville is delicious! I’ve never cared for fried chicken until I tried Guthrie's. It’s delicious and the sauce is even better. They do do it better here! (yeah, yeah, I know…still not good for the whole wedding dress thing…)

Delights:
Smashed sweet potatoes when done right = my new favorite side dish!

4 comments:

Cara Hoag said...

And my stomach is still not used to all these new foods...I've definitely had more than a few upset stomachs!

DaddyHoag said...

Mashed sweet potatoes, baked sweet potatoes, sweet patatoe pie, and (french) fired sweet potatoes ... UMMMMM! Oh yeah not conducive to having to get into last years slacks ... HMMMM!

Megs said...

Glad you are doing such important food research so you can share with us. yummy.

Hoag said...

If I can briefly summarize my thoughts on your cooking in the spirit of this blog...

"YUMMY!"

It has been so much fun making a home with you and your cooking has certainly made our house feel like a wonderful home...you've nailed the good home cooking!! I just hope my fajitas live up to your delicious chicken, pork, and pasta dishes!!