Monday, October 27, 2008

Prim and proper? Definitely not me!

Matt took me to my very first UT football game this weekend against Alabama. His old roommate, Quinn came to town with his fiancé and stayed with us for the night. His fiancé, Deborah went to Alabama so they were sitting with other Alabama fans and the people we hung out with at the tailgate were mostly Alabama fans.

I got decked out in a bright orange Vols jersey, jeans and tennis shoes. And since we were tailgating, I was ready for some beer drinking. Turns out, I was a little bit of an oddball in the crowd we were hanging with.

APPARENTLY if you are a girl and an Alabama football fan you need to act and dress ladylike for the event. You should wear your nicest wool coat, scarf, leather gloves and of course, don’t forget your designer purse (it can’t be an understated designer purse—it should be the type of purse that clearly states “Juicy,” “Coach,” etc. People should know you spent a lot on it). And drink beer? Definitely not! Ladies don’t drink alcohol! (I’m sure these girls would also claim that ladies don’t fart, poop or burp either.)

Anyway, all the proper southern girls were very nice. But I’m not ready to conform just yet. I proudly wore my jersey and slammed back a few beers. That’s what football weekends are all about where I come from!

Oh, and we lost. Bummer. But I can’t wait to go again and cheer the Vols on to a victory!

4 comments:

Brenna said...

Did they at least befriend you or were you the outcast? I'm sure you will be a sweet tea-drinking Southern Belle in no time!

Megs said...

What?! That isn't how the tailgated at WSU? HA- crazy how different.

Cara Hoag said...

They were nice and three of us girls were engaged so we had that to talk about.

And Matt is in Quinn's wedding this May so I can get done up for that and earn back some points! Haha.

Hoag said...

Nice blog! I even gave this blog a shout-out in my latest blog!

Can't wait for our next Tennessee tailgating experience!!