Thursday, January 8, 2009

High Fives of Sports Fans

1:
Last night at the Gonzaga vs. Tennessee game, Zag fans were greatly outnumbered by all the orange-clad Vols fans. But there did happen to be three rows of GU fans (probably 10-15 fans total) one section over from us. We were told that those were probably the family seats that GU players are allotted. Great to see fellow Zags at the game! Not so great to hear the fellow Zags barking! Now, maybe this is a new trend in GU fan pride, but I will not be joining in if it is! I was almost embarrassed that our fans were barking like crazy people. And the Vols fans did not let the barking slide. They shouted things like “Keep it class, Spokane.” I gotta give the Vols fans some props on calling them out on their obnoxious fan behavior.

2:
In general, I like Tennessee fans. They wear their orange with great pride, and sing along to “Rocky Top” like it’s their job. And when they aren’t up against Gonzaga, I consider myself a UT fan. But I’ve only been to two UT sporting events and both times the fans did not act like TRUE, LOYAL fans in the end. The Alabama football game I went to was my first exposure to this. We were losing a home game and so many fans fled out of the 102,000+ capacity stadium that Matt and I were outnumbered 4 to 1 by the away team’s fans when the game ended. In my mind you have to be a fan in the good times and the bad. And if you’re already at the game, just stay to see it end! Give your players your support when they need it most—when they are losing!
Last night wasn’t too different. I’m not sure what happened, but when Tyler Smith went down, something else went must have happened. Mark Few got mad and suddenly the UT fans turned sour. Fams started pouring out of the arena almost immediately. Nice fan support guys. One bad play and you’re out of there….
3:
Another pet peeve that I realized at last night’s game is more about “bad fans.” In the seats behind us we had an older couple--Tennessee fans of course. All game they were very into cheering. Clapping along to “Rocky Top,” hollaring when a player does a good play, standing and yelling when Gonzaga is shooting free-throws…BUT...it wasn’t all good. The man, with his beer belly, orange old-man sweater and bright white hair, had a pretty feisty side. Around the same time that Tyler Smith went down and the fans started streaming out of the arena, Old Man Orange started yelling and cussing at the UT players…the same players that two minutes earlier he was praising. One missed lay-up and he’s telling his own team that they don’t deserve to play college ball and they must have learned how to play basketball in a closet, etc. Why? Why in the world do fans turn so quickly on their team. I definitely get mad at GU players (mostly Pargo for making dumb mistakes) but I simply shake my head and then yell “Come on Zags, let’s get it together!” …must be the optimism in me.

4:
Old Man Orange also gets to feed number four of my high fives of sports fans. His feistiness in number three might clue you in to my next complaint. He’s the type of fan that yells and cusses at the ref no matter what happens. You could hear the slap of a foul as Daye was going up for shot. And the 5 big screens are replaying the blatant foul. Does Old Man Orange care? NO. He’s busy turning red in the face, screaming at the top of his lungs that the call was Bullsh**. I also think it’s interesting to note that in most cases the fans that are this type of obnoxious are like Old Man Orange: they are OLD MEN. You’d think they’ve been around the block, are wise and mature and can keep their composure. And they probably are, except when they are watching their team play. Then they become like a hot-headed 18-year-old.

5:
Number five doesn’t go to Old Man Orange, instead it goes to Old Man Orange’s sweet wife. She was gray-haired and orange sweater sporting, just like her hubby. And boy was she a southern belle! I loved hearing her cheer. When they chant “V” “O” “L” “S” “Go Vols, Go!” She is chanting “V” “O” “L” “ASS” …her southern accent made the “S” sound hilarious, striking close to “ass.” It was darlin’.


And to wrap up: GO ZAGS! I’m so glad you guys showed your colors and pulled through with a win. A great way to end pre-conference play! WCC here we come!

2 comments:

Hoag said...

Old Man Orange. Hilar!

I'm cracking up at that name - well said, baby!

Anonymous said...

Very amusing-I can almost imagine being at the game with you. I can't believe how quickly Old Man Orange turned on his guys! What's wrong with learning to play b-ball in the closet anyways?