Tuesday, January 27, 2009

My feet are finally wet

Yes, it is raining in Knoxville but that isn’t why my feet are wet. I’m finally feeling valuable at work!

Up until a few weeks ago, when people asked “How’s the new job?” I tried not to come off as too negative. Chalking it up to good experience. But then I complained that I’m not busy enough, haven’t figured out the internal politics, don't love it--that it is a good temporary job to have while living in Knoxville but not long-term.

Fortunately my perspective is starting to change. I’d still like to be busier, but I’m not as bored as I was prior to January. I’m starting to figure out the politics, or at least navigating them enough to make a name for myself. And I finally feel like I’m bringing value to the company! I’m starting to get pulled in on more projects and asked for my opinion on more things. I suppose it just took awhile to really get my feet wet.

It is a good reminder that I am not the type of person who jumps in and takes control right away. I like to take control but only after I feel comfortable and after I’ve analyzed the situation enough to know that I am right (heaven forbid I take a risk and be wrong!!). I love figuring things out on my own and being a self-starter but I guess it takes time to dothat well in a new company and new industry. So I’m glad to say that 3.5 months into the new job, it’s going ok and getting better.

I’m still not convinced that it’s a long-term thing, but really, that’s because there are too many other things I could do (not to mention many places I could end up living). I’m already looking ahead to the next thing. Yesterday I found a way to get the design software I want for a great price through the University. And found a local college that has an online graphic design certificate program…it’s a 6 month (80 hour) program so I think next January I will go for it! Keep broadening my resume so I have lots of options! Plus I think design would be quite fun.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Great news!! I am glad work is going better. Your description of how you approach a new job really hit a cord with me- I totally relate and find myself doing the same thing.

I am excited that you found a design program. Definitely, Go For IT!!