Thursday, March 26, 2009

Can’t help but be optimistic

As soon as I moved to Knoxville, our friend Mike was eager to have me join his co-ed adult soccer league. I was a little nervous to get back into soccer, but mostly just excited. That was back in October so I figured I had plenty of time to get back into shape and for my knee to fully heal. Fast forward to March and my knee was still bothering me but after seeing a physical therapist and still not having answers to the problem, I decided to just try playing soccer.

Since I tore my meniscus while sitting and stretching last time, I figured if it was going to happen, it would happen. I may as well play soccer and if I injure it, at least I’ll have a better story than last time.

Well, I have a story! My first game of the season was on Sunday (my birthday). I wasn’t feeling confident in my knee at all. I even told the team that I wanted to sit out to be safe, but since the girls had no subs, I decided to play. And it isn’t in my nature to go on the field and volunteer to come off. So I subbed in and didn’t come off the field until I was being carried off.

It felt wonderful to be out on the field. I’m rusty. Really rusty. But I had moments—a really good pass or a good steal—and I felt like I was really a soccer player again. Then I had moments when I kicked the ball and it soared in the opposite direction as I intended. I can’t wait to heal and get back out there and get rid of all that rust!

I did a little “move” and knew immediately that it wasn’t good. I couldn’t put pressure on it at all. I got carried off the field and couldn’t help but cry. At that very moment I accepted the fact that I would need surgery again. Monday morning I called and got an emergency appointment with the orthopaedic surgeon. As suspected, it seemed to be my meniscus so he prescribed pain meds, ordered an MRI and I hopped out on crutches.

Tuesday I got the MRI and Thursday morning I met with the sports medicine doctor. He confirmed that it was my right meniscus again and he needed to do surgery to remove the torn section. I think the doctor was a bit surprised by my reaction. Since I had already accepted that surgery was inevitable, I just wanted to schedule it as soon as possible. No tears this time (the first two times I got told I needed surgery, the flood gates opened and I sobbed in the doctor’s office).

So the big day is April 8th. I can start bearing weight within the first day or two and back to normal activities after about 4 weeks. Compared to my previous surgeries, this recovery sounds like a breeze. I’m so excited. I’m trying not to get my hopes up too much, but maybe this surgery will let me go back to my active lifestyle. I haven’t had a good run in over 2 years and I am eagerly waiting to try again in May! Maybe my nagging knee pain will finally go away! Here’s to hoping the third time is the charm!

4 comments:

Hoag said...

The 3rd time is going to be the charm! Unfortunately, we won't be able to do the Dogwood Festival 5k this year - but I'm looking forward to running with you next year!

Megs said...

I hope this does the trick and after the surgery your knee is ready to go!! We love you- bad knee and all!!

Ada said...

Good luck Cara! I hope you are able to play your wii fitness coach sometime soon :) Take care!

Hoag said...

Surgery update:

The surgery went smoothly - the doctor removed a decent sized portion of the medial meniscus and had to "touch up" the edges of the lateral meniscus. Cara has got a brand new knee and we both hope that she'll be back on her feet in no time!!