Friday, March 20, 2009

More sleeping trials and tribulations

If you are a loyal reader, you know that Matt is NOT a morning person. And honestly, I’m not either but compared to him I am bright eyed and bushy tailed in the mornings. We have alarm issues on a regular basis. Matt and I both set our own alarms…they are typically within 15-30 minutes of each other. And we both set more than one alarm (yes, that is a lot of alarms going off). I set two alarms on my phone and Matt sets alarms on his phone and clock radio.

Well at 6 am, Matt couldn’t care less about his alarms going off. He’ll reach over and being so sleepy, he can’t figure out if it is his phone or clock going off. If he guesses wrong, he gives up, rolls over and goes back to sleep with the alarm still going. I don’t enjoy this so I nudge him and say “It’s your phone” or “Are you going to get that?” Which in his sleepy state, irritates him because he could easily keep on sleeping regardless of the seagulls cawing from his alarm clock.

This morning the same thing happened. Matt’s alarm went off (this time, his phone). I ask, “Is that your alarm?” Matt: “Yeah.” …continues to sleep

I patiently wait to see if he is going to get it. After a minute I realize that no, he isn’t. So I ask “Are you going to turn it off?”

This was the WRONG morning to ask this question! It turns out that Matt’s phone wasn’t on his bedstand like normal. So he literally jumps out of bed. His stance wide (picture a sumo wrestler’s stance) and he came down loud and hard. It was the biggest fit I’ve ever seen from him. He then grabs his phone and storms out of the bedroom. I thinking, what the heck was that? And tried to catch a few more minutes of sleep. But I was pretty awake at this point so I got up to find Matt curled up, asleep on the loveseat.

He was so mad at me for asking him to turn off the alarm that he banished himself to the couch! I think he was just trying to get me back by startling me awake. Because just a few days ago I got up before Matt and proceeded to fall down the stairs (I’m OK). But Matt got to wake up to a scream and major thuds and leap out of bed to find a Cara pile at the bottom of the stairs. Fortunately in that case he was far from mad and very sweet and consoling to me.

3 comments:

MaryC said...

Oh, no I think this has something to do with genetics...although for sure I am not an angry waker, just a groggy, slow one.
Good luck with this, Cara. At least you can be sure that Matt will be mostly kind and caring during his waking hours, whenever he finally and truly awakens!

MaryC said...

Forgot to say, that I'm GLAD you're okay. I wouldn't want you to reinjure that knee again!

Hoag said...

Lies! Slander! I was training for sumo - I swear!

:)