Tuesday, December 9, 2008

Sleeping trials and tribulations

When I wrote about Matt turning into a pillow swiper, I got a lot of responses. Turns out, Matt isn’t alone in his late night criminal behavior! …So I thought you all might be interested in more of our sleeping trials and tribulations.

Matt is a much deeper sleeper than me and it is most apparent when alarms go off in the morning. Neither one of us are morning people. Quite the opposite, we are night owls and aren’t very strict about our bedtimes. This means mornings are slow moving with lots of snooze hitting.

Well, two nights ago Matt set his phone alarm for 6 am. He left it on the dresser across from the bed and had it set to vibrate. When it went off, I woke up. Matt didn’t. I told him that his alarm was going off but he was not interested. Apparently since he didn’t wake up to it, it didn’t exist. So I, not being an early riser, chose to try and ignore the vibrating phone. But five minutes later, it went off again. Again I tried to tell Matt that he needed to turn his alarm off. Still, Matt was not interested. Repeat this a few more times. Matt kept getting more and more irritated with me. He told me that I was being ridiculous, it was barely audible. Eventually I got up out of bed and turned the damn thing off myself. When we finally got up, we had a good laugh about it. And we agreed, Matt shouldn’t bother setting his alarm because I’m the only one that wakes up to it anyway.

Last night, Matt’s sleepy morning behavior continued. We were going to try and get up early to work out. My alarm went off at 5:50 a.m. and I hit snooze. Five minutes later, I hit snooze again. And again. And again. I reset the alarm 7:10 a.m. and hit snooze AGAIN. And again. And at 7:15 Matt woke up to the alarm and asked, you ready to go to they gym? In all seriousness! He thought that was the first time the alarm went off, apparently he really was dead to the world for the first 10 times Pink’s song, “So What” blared out of my phone!

3 comments:

Hoag said...

Wow....it's an absolute wonder how I was able to pull myself together to teach at 8am three days a week this semester!!

Anonymous said...

I think you found a great bloggging topic- you will have to keep it as a regular post to update on how it is going. It is these kind of things that inspired us to buy a king sized bed for our 2nd anniversary!

As for the alarms, when we were first married, Mark's alarm would go off, I would wake up and he would hit snooze in his sleep, he would do this repeatedly, until I finally pushed him out of bed. I remember thinking, "This is how is is going to be for the rest of my life!" It was so annoying, but times have changed. NOW, I can completely sleep through his alarm. I wake up to every sound the kids make and my work phone, but am completley undisturbed by his alarm. AND, he gets up the first time it goes off, no more snooze. So-There is hope!

DaddyHoag said...

No surprises here ... just the Matt we know and love. I on the otherhand am a morning person, I think the only one in the house, well James may be a morning person, but Matt and Mary were cut from the same block.