Thursday, November 5, 2009

You're gonna LOVE this!

One of our wedding gifts was a Crock Pot. I was excited about the idea of slow cooking but didn't brave my first attempt until the Crock Pot sat in its box for a month taunting me. Matt was out of town almost immediately after we got home from the honeymoon and he was only going to be in town for one day before he left on his second trip post-honeymoon. So I decided that this would be the perfect opportunity to show him what a good wife (!!!) I am and break in the Crock Pot.
I did several Google searches along the lines of "Best Crock Pot recipe" and "Favorite Slow Cooker recipes." Somehow I stumbled upon this wonderful gem. Slow Cooker Taco Chicken..sounds pretty good. But it gets better for two reasons:

1) Matt's favorite food is Mexican so making a Mexican meal for his one day home would make me a really really good wife instead of just a good wife, and

2) It's probably the easiest recipe EVER.

You just plop six skinless chicken breasts in the Crock Pot and stir in one 16 oz. jar of salsa and a packet of taco seasoning then let it cook for 4-6 hours on high or 6-8 hours on low. Easy peasy! The house smelled sooo tasty all day and the chicken did not disappoint. We made chicken soft tacos and of course, lots of margaritas with the tequila we brought back from Mexico. Yum! I used literallyhalf the bottle of tequila in our margaritas and you could barely taste the tequila it was so smooth and yummy. Don't worry - we tasted the chicken before we drank the margaritas so you can trust our non-alcohol influenced opinion!

Now the recipe gets EVEN BETTER for three more reasons:

1) Matt commented afterwards "Hey, I can even make this." Why yes babe, you can! And please feel free to cook it up anytime.

2) Leftovers. Mmmmm. We froze tons because we followed the recipe of 6 chicken breasts which is entirely way too much for two people.

3) It lead me to another easy peasy, delicious recipe....use the same chicken in a tortilla soup! We made this the night Matt returned from his trip and it was another easy meal and definitely hit the spot now that we're having chilly fall days. The recipe is on the same link I provided above to the Pioneer Woman Blog - a great resource if you don't already know about it.

Go forth and try the recipe and see if you agree with it's greatness! And remember, margaritas are optional but highly recommended!

3 comments:

Cara Hoag said...

Don't forget to vote in the poll on right-hand side of the page!

MaryC said...

Oooooo, this sounds yummy and easy (peasy). And it started Jay, Ada, and I talking about delicious recipes and the challenge of finding and making the BEST mac and cheese...I am now inspired to try some new recipes and dust off my 30+ yr old crock pot! It's been a few months since I've plugged that baby in. And how cool that even MATT can cook with it!

Ada said...

Yeah... We have made chicken and pork tacos, chili, spaghetti sauce, stuffed peppers... I think my next try will be a "pulled pork" version for sandwiches... but 1st I need to get the Crockpot out of our storage unit :(